Thursday, March 11, 2010

Busy Bee

Busy busy busy. School is starting to pick up, and rugby playoffs have commenced. I am starting to remember how hectic life can get. But it's a good hectic. I am so busy I don't have time to get lonely or homesick! So, due to my busyness, I have not regrettably taken many more exciting pictures, or done anything terribly exciting. Last week, the Texans who live across the hall all went to Oxford, Liverpool and Manchester. I had a poster project to do, so I did not join them. However, I managed to finish up my project fairly quickly, so I made my own day trip to Bristol. Bristol is a bigger city to the west of Bath, and is about a 10 min train ride away. It was a beautiful day so I did snap a few pictures of which I will post below.
The top picture is a shot of inside the Bristol Temple Meads train station. The one below is from the outside. You can see all the taxis sitting at the entrance. The are all very funny looking. The taxis in Bath are all different, but it Bristol, they tend to all be the same funny looking model.

So in Bristol, the only thing to really do is shop. There were a few things I really wanted to pick up. Some good walking shoes, some rugby spandex for under my shorts, and a green top for St. Patricks day. I ended up with only the spandex, but it was a fun day none the less. What's really cool about Bristol shopping is that they have what the Texans call an "outdoor mall". It's really neat actually. I tried to take a picture to give you an idea of what it's like.So it sort of looks like you're inside, and it sort of feels like you are, only it's cold and the roof is more of a screen. And it doesn't extend the whole way. It will randomly stop, and all you have is sky above you. It's odd, but neat. The shops in Bristol are a little more low key. Not as many high-end fancy brand name shops. Which is nice for those of us who arn't willing to pay a semesters tution for a pair of shoes.

So, the only other exciting thing that has been going on here is rugby playoffs. They started last week, however because our team did really well throughout the season we had a bye. The playoffs are set up as knockoffs. So once you lose you are out. So our first game was yesterday and we played Bristol. They are one of the lowest teams in the league. The result? Well, we beat them. Pretty badly actually. It was more of a slaughter. The score was 98-0. That's right. 98. For those who don't know much about rugby, that is a ridiculously high scoring game. However from here on in the games will get tougher and tougher. So wish us luck! Here are some pictures from our game in Cardiff two weeks ago. I think I wrote about it last time. The pitch was very muddy. The first picture is warming up before the game, and the second is sometime during. You can see the how nice and clean we were before.
Well, that is all I have. Hopefully the next post will be more exciting. Next week I am heading to Dublin for a few days and will be there for St. Patricks day! So I'll be sure to update this once I get back.

.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the updates. Great for me to see and hear about your everyday adventures since I do not plan to ever travel there. MLM

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do they keep the birds and bird poop from flying under the screen and into the "mall"? Weird. 98-0 is a completely ridiculous score. Is that some kind of record? Here's hoping you bring that to the finals! Have fun in Dublin! Watch out for the green brew.

    ReplyDelete