Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Country Living

Well, I have arrived alive. My flights from Halifax to Iceland and from Iceland to London were long, sleepeless and meal-less. I managed to find a bit of food in Iceland, but was struggled to buy something as I had know idea how much an Icelandic Krona was compared to a Canadian Dollar! I ending up having a 199 krona container of yougart (which I just found out cost me about $1.70, phew!) It was weird yougart, the consistancy was somewhere between soft and hard ice cream, but it tasted alright.
Now I am currently living with the Butlers in Hardwick. It is a very small village about 1 hour North of London. I learned that to be considered a village you need a church. Well, that's about all that is here. There are maybe 6-7 houses, some fields, some sheep, and a church. It is very beautiful. I have not yet taken any pictures, but I will.
Some things I have learend in the past few days include: Brit's spell "tire" (as in car tires) "tyre". They love fresh flowers and many people will buy then regularly to put in their front rooms (they are not as expensive here as they are in Canada). Hedgehogs are a regular sight, but only around dusk. There is a mom and 2 babies that we often see in the front garden here. And lastly, something that surprised me, there are still gypsies around! When driving along a road you may spy some dodgy looking campers (what they would call caravans) set up in a random field with horses nearby. This are temporary gypsy camps! Apparantly they are a rough crowd and can cause a lot of havoc. I am told that not to long ago, right down the road from here a farmer had his car stloen by some. Every morning he would stop at his field gate jump out (with the truck still running) and walk maybe 10 metres to open the gate. One morning as he stepped out to do that, some gypsies came running from the ditch and nicked his truck!
Well, that's all I have to report for now. No job prospects yet, but I am on the hunt. I will hopefully put some pictures up soon with a new post! That is as long as I don't get taken off by gypsies.

1 comment:

  1. Gypsy's are definately an annoyance; after 5 weeks with them barging in and around camp, I can sympathize! -Abby

    ReplyDelete