Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Cushty!

So, it has been just over a week since I arrived. Still no job unfortunatly. I am still waiting to hear back on a few that I've applied for, so hopefully something turns up. In the mean time I am adjusting to UK life. Adjusting to UK life involes many things, but in this house one of the biggest ones for me is the constant consumption of tea. I think I have drank more cups of tea over the past week than I have in my previous 21 years of life combined. (They also have lots of cherry trees!)

Another big adjustment is the driving. I had my first expereince driving on the left side of the road today. We decided it would be beneficial for me to take a lesson. So I had an hour driving lesson today where I had to get used to round abouts and shifting with my left hand (yes, it was a standard car). It was tricky. I kept looking up to my left to look into the rearview mirror, when it was on my right and more than once I found myself flailing my hand into the door to do a quick gear change. But I think it's coming along. The round abouts might tale a bit of practice though.
(Some sheep next door.)

Another common sight where I am are the small planes in the sky. The few times I've gone for a run, I'll see these small planes doing loop da loops and figure eights in the air! I guess there is a air field near by (They have a lot of small airfields in England) and they often practice during the day.
(A holly tree in Oundle)

On top of this I have discovered a few more differences. Instead of mayo, most Brits use "salad cream" on thier sandwiches. And the majority of Brits do not eat pb and jam sandwiches and for the most part, they think they sound rather nasty. I was also surprised to discover how many of our basic vegetables are called something different over here. For example, what we call zucchini, the Brits refer to as courgettes. Also we differ on turnips. What us and the Scots consider turnips, the English call a swedes. They have another smaller root vegetable that they refer to as turnips.
Anyways, that's all I have so far. I have posted a few pictures to give you an idea of where I am and what it's like over here. And I will leave you with a shot of our little friend who was getting a cheeky munch of the cat's food outside the back door two nights ago.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment