Sunday, August 7, 2011

Jolly Ol' Jobless England.



Well, I have made it 3 weeks now and still, no job. Everywhere I go I hear about people's kids looking for work, or the painter's grandson, still looking for a job. Hopefully when students start filing back to school some jobs will open up. In the mean time, I may look into nannying for a wee while, just to pass the time and earn some money. I am told there may be some work there considering it's the summer holidays and lots of families have kids home and still have to work. Other than the job front I have been keeping myself busy. Last weekend, on Will's day off, he took me to a water reserve nearby where we rented bikes (a bit pricey for a 2 hour rental in my opinion) and biked around the reserve (I think it was 12 km.)
Even when biking my Canadian insticts kicked it. Whenever we would meet people on the trail I would instinctivly shift over to the right side of the trail. Well of course they went that side too and probably thought I was a bit of a tool. I had to keep reminding myself that I was in England and even on bikes the driving is backwards.
That evening I trained it into London to meet up with some exchange friends from last year. We somehow figured out that a few of us where going to be in the UK around the same time, so we planned to have a bit of a reunion. It was great to see everyone. Below are some pictures of London that I took while I was there.
There was a vintage festival going on that Sunday afternoon, so we decided to check it out. There were tons of booths and stalls selling old things for too much money, although if you were really keen you could sometimes find a good deal. There were lots of fashionable folk walking around as well as some of the organisers pictured below who took vintage to the extreme.

Oh, I also found a vintage cutout of Darth Vader. Here is Vader and I and my German friend Vicktor. (Vicktor was also a Star Wars fan.)
Here is the London eye. A HUGE ferris wheel type thing. It costs an arm and a leg to go on it and it moves like 1 meter per hour, but apparently the view is quite nice at the top.

Throughout this week I spent a lot of time online looking for work and exploring the local towns nearby. And while the closest towns are not the most beautiful, we did go to one yesterday called Stamford that was really nice! I will take pictures next time I am there. As some of you may know it was Pete and mine's Birthday on Wednesday. For my Birthday Will surprised me by taking a day of work and taking me skiing! That's right, skiing. In England...in August. They have an indoor ski slope about an hour from here, so we spent an a couple hours skiing! Never thought I'd do that on my birthday. Unfortunatly I didn't take any pictures of it. I will try to take more exciting pictures over the next week to spice it up.
That's all I got. T.T.F.N. Ta ta for now!!

No comments:

Post a Comment